What's Your Motivation?

Many people ask what motivates me, what has me going to the gym 5 days a week--sometimes 6-- just to work my body far beyond, what some might call, the pooped-out point?

LIVING!!! That's right, I'm living again. I can breathe. I can do things I haven't been able to do in fifteen years. For instance, 12 months ago, crossing my legs was difficult. Well, let me tell you friends, I'm now a leg crossing foo1.  I cross my legs in restaurants.  I sit in the mall, legs crossed, watching the world passing me by. I will cross my legs for no good reason at all, just because I can.  It's the small changes in my body that motivate me.  I see and feel these changes, celebrating each improvement with great enthusiasm.

Six months ago, it was painful to walk up a flight of stairs. I calculated each footstep one step at a time. Now, I can walk up those same steps like other folks do. Sure, I may not be running them, like Rocky Balboa, but give me another couple of months and I will be.   

And speaking of Mr. Balboa; movies motivate me, especially when they leave me feeling like I can conquer the world. Hand's down--The Italian Stallion gets my vote every time.  No matter what time of day, if that movie is playing, I will stop to watch. Just the rumbling of that winner-take-all theme song gets me going. I'm ready to whip me up a glass of raw eggs, hit the gym or better yet, step into the ring with Apollo Creed!

Can I get a "Yo-Adrain?"

Music is another motivator--not to mention an enthusiastic work out buddy.  The beat gets me excited, gets me moving, and I anticipate when the next occasion may arise when I can share the musical talents of Mr. Elvis Presley (an addiction of mine second only to Chocolate milk) in a such a public fashion.

Yes-sir-e-bob, a little Hunka-Hunka-Burning -Love isn't half-bad when your busting a sweat in the gym.

If Rocky's not your bag, that's ok. My point is merely to encourage you to find an outside element, one that can help you focus on your goals and not the effort.  If you like to read, take a good book! Like puzzles? Why not work a crossword while you're riding that stationary bike?  Whatever it is, find it and use it.

The path to getting health is difficult. Motivational aids have helped me.  I believe they can help you too.    

PEACE!
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment