The Circle of Love



(Photo Left: South Point Gym's biggest loser competition.) 

Lisa Downie, trainer at South Point and teacher at Hagerstown Community College, invited me to speak to her class yesterday evening. What a great group of folks! 

When speaking to the Class (a.k.a Team Lisa) I shared my story, addressing those concerns most have when beginning a healthier  lifestyle. What food's can I eat? Do I  have to give up my favorite foods forever? Everyone has their own connection to food, and for many reading this, you know what it means to have more than a connection but rather a relationship. Nothing comforts us more, nothing feels better than those comfort foods we rely on. That relationship never fully goes away, as it always there tempting us. It's like that old friend from high school, the one you've been close to for years. They can move away but you still think about them, miss them. Food is much the same, as its been part of your life for a long time. You can't just snap your finger and make those emotions disappear.  In stead, you have to deal with them, look into the mirror everyday and talk to that beautiful person looking back at you. 

You are in control, you make the decisions, not the food. 

Love yourself at all times, this is a must. We must love ourselves in order to say no to the bad foods and yes to the good. Most start their journey thinking about all the things they cant have, but I say, forget about what you can't have and see all the wonderful things you can. You can still enjoy that wonderful burger you crave or that piece of cake, from time to time, as long as it all comes back to that man/woman in the mirror, back to you retaining control. It may seem hard at first--in fact, count on it--but as I said, don't dwell on what you're not supposed to eat, rather think about that deliciously sweet fruit that you can. Think about all those pretty colors in the vegetable garden and how tasty they will be, and more importantly, how much better you're going to feel after eating them. Consider how all these changes will benefit your over all health. How you will look better, fit into that smaller shirt and or skirt, and how all this benefits your life experiences, making this journey on earth so much happier. 

You must see your value. If your reading this blog, you're already thinking about making these changes and that's key. Your new life starts with you, that man/woman in the mirror. You are the boss. You have complete control. You have purpose. I found mine. I knew I had the gift for gab.  I liked connecting with people and believed I was supposed to be doing something that reaches out to others. Once I began to live again, my purpose became clear. 

How does one find their purpose? We all have things we like and are good at, so, start there. If your a hugger, hug often. If you like to laugh, tell jokes. Make others happy, whatever, but do what makes you tick and put a smile on a face that may need it. When we do things to make others happy, we in turn are happy. We feel better about ourselves, and when we feel better about ourselves, we learn to love ourselves more. Loving ourselves helps us to make better and healthier decisions that benefit us. 

Can you see how all this kinda works together? This circle of love?

Guy's I'm no doctor. I'm not a professional, as I have said before, but I'm learning to love myself all over again and I can tell you, it does work together.  I knew when I first looked into that mirror that deep down that 625 pound monster was a nice guy.  People did love him and he loved connecting with people. You have to do the same thing, you have to look beyond that image and see that inner beauty. Find that soul that you know is in there and pull him or her out, let them shine. You have it in you. Its your job to help that image find it's soul again. And when you do this, you'll be ready to become the best you that you can be. 

Your reading this blog, which means--I pray--that you want to change your life. Good. That's a start. The term "soul searching" resonates here. So, what are you waiting for? Go look in that mirror, look deep--real deep. Do you see yourself in there, fighting to get out. You got it. Let him/her out. You can do it. I have faith in you. 

PEACE
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment