Food Food and More Food--Fa, La, La, La, La, La.


Tis the season and it all starts with the candy corn and the snickers! We go from those Reese's cup snack packs in October to that amazing feast in November (Gobble Gobble Gobble). Then its HO-HO-HO, fried shrimp and baked ham. 

Yup friends, its all around us and like everyone else, I love to eat! I love all those bad foods. But I also love feeling good and looking even better. So, when those days do come around, I allow myself to have that chocolate for Halloween, and in fact, I have more than one. But I don't do it everyday.  

We've talked about temptations before, and trust me, they still call to me. They say; "Here I am, Dan. I'm chocolaty goodness with loads of caramel in my middle and I taste so good, so, come and get me (wink)."  

I've come to expect those weak moments, but I've also learned how to properly respond to it. And I can assure you, its a powerful thing when you take back that control. I want you to take back your control. I know what it feels like to have none, as for years, and several hundred pounds ago, I didn't have any.  And when New Years day rolled around, I was hating myself--and life, for that matter--for having had no self control and eating far too much over the passing few weeks. 

Not this year! This year, I was ready, and when the holidays rolled around, I prepared myself. I anticipated those cheat days. I knew that dinner at my sisters house was gong to be great! I knew that the pumpkin pie and mashed potatoes were going to be calling my name, so I planned ahead. I worked out extra hard the week before. I spent more time in the weight room, pulled longer and harder on that rower machine. I worked hard so that I could eat guilt free for that one day. And because I'd worked my butt off for those wonderful stuffing balls and mac-n-cheese, I ate well, and for the first time, enjoyed that pumpkin pie--guilt free. When I got up the next morning, I went right back to the gym, back to doing the right thing.  

The biggest questions I receive from people with a relationship with food is: How do you control it?  My answer--I want it bad enough.  I want to live a long healthy life. I want to look and feel like a million dollars (well maybe a thousand and a half dollars). That's my best and honest answer. Yes, I still enjoy bad foods. Yes, I still allow myself to have them, from time to time, but my desire to live and my desire to be a better me helps me control it. 

So, the next time you hear that hot fudge sundae calling your name, ask your self: How bad do I want it? 

I am still on my journey. I'm still learning what works for me. Two months ago, I didn't have the hindsight to be able to share with you how I was going to to tackle the holiday season. I wasn't 100% sure myself. But know this; if this was not the year for you to conquer those holiday foods, if you have not yet taken back your control, there's always next year. 

The holidays are meant to be fun! Its all about family, friends, and eating. You deserve to eat what you like and enjoy the season, just remember--I've said it before but I'll say it again--"Nothing tastes as good as losing weight feels." 

If this was your year to finally beat those food demons, I wanna hear all about it. Email me or post a comment here and let me celebrate with you. If you're still struggling, and or have questions, I'm here to help. 
PEACE
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment