Believe in You!


 In order to achieve our goals, we must trust that we have the ability and strength to accomplish what we want.  Faith is the key. But how does one capture what has eluded us for the better part of lives?

When I began my journey towards a healthier me, I did not start out believing in myself.  When I walked into Hagerstown Community College fitness center for the first time, and I saw all the weights and equipment, I was scared to death.  This was a new world to me, a world that looked forbidding and painful.  I had just come from a chain gym and I had failed miserably.  I was that guy who just couldn't get anything right,so I thought.  I didn't have what it took to tackle the task at hand  nor the dedication needed to see it through.  I gave up easily.  I had very little faith in Dan Hawthorne,  after all, he couldn't even manage the stationary bike.  He wouldn't put up a good fight, I told myself.  He was a quitter.

All of this was going through my head at the time. To say I was lacking self esteem is putting it mildly  My low opinion of myself hindered my faith, yet deep down, I wanted to achieve success.  I wanted a purpose and I knew this fight would be the challenge of my life, as it was for my life. However, looking back, the toughest task was addressing the man in that mirror first.  I knew I had to do that and he was angry. He was peeved off. And when I finally stood eye to eye with that six hundred pound monster, I was a tad bit shaky.  He was intimidating.  He was inflexible, challenging even. But if I couldn't convince him to walk back into that gym, I would die. It was just that simple.

Winning over that big man in the mirror was my fresh start. That's when I realized how strong Dan really was. And I'm here to tell you, friends, you have that same power. You can change. You're brave. You can take that first step to reclaiming your life too.  Did taking those first steps allow me to believe in me, just a tad? Of course it did!  Each successful baby-step allowed my faith to grow--granted slowly.

A spark of faith can go a long way. That following week, I was working out and doing things I didn't think I could do.  I was throwing medicine balls. I was doing lat pull downs and bench presses. I was swinging those heavy ropes and actually moving again. I was controlling my destiny.  And after a few weeks, when I weighed in on that loading dock (still too heavy for an average scale)  I realized I'd dropped a hundred pounds! I became a believer in me! All it took was that one successful step forward and my faith rose up a notch, enough to take another step and yet another.  Soon, I understood that my fight was never really with that monster, that image I saw in the mirror.  My fight went much deeper.  I had to face the sadness I felt inside, my disappointment in me. I had to face my fears and allow myself to believe.

 Recently, I was asked in an interview, what I wanted people to take away from my story? My answer: We are much stronger than we realize.

Guys, we have it in us, and if we want something, we can have it. But we have to know what we want and we have to believe we can get it.  Every journey begins with a desire, a direction. You must take that first step and address what it is you really want. Then ask yourself, what's keeping you from it? Whatever "it" is, kick it to the curb. Roll up your sleeves and find your strength. Find that desire to regain control and get your life back. You can do it.

I've asked you this in the past but it's a good question: How Bad Do You Want It? Do you want to live longer, feel better, enjoy life and be happier? Do you have the desire to do what it takes to get that? If you're reading this blog then you do.

Know that it's possible. Know that you have every bit of what it takes to get your life back. Know that you are stronger than you think you are, and know that with hard work and dedication, you can achieve anything you want.

Most important, BELIEVE in you as I believe in you. We're on the same team here and I want my teammates to trust me, and vice-verse.

So, let's do this thang!!!!!!!! 
PEACE
Dan.

3 comments:

  1. Dan Hawthorthne is an inspiration to all. Thank God he followed his faith and saved his life.

    Dan will always be a winner among all of my beautiful, handsome Elvis friends! He certainly was following Elvis' : TCB Taking Care of Business!

    God bless our forever friend Dan!

    Loving You, Catalina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Cathy. Your a wonderful friend with a beautiful spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Careful of your use of the word "thang". That has been copy written into a song of mine! (just kidding) although I am thinking of copy writing the word "Peace". Maybe then, we could afford those Harleys we have dreamt of. Keep up the good work, the last 75 will be easier in your current condition! Love the hat!

    ReplyDelete