Embracing the Truth


My Promise

When I decided to make my story public, I knew I had to go all the way and hold nothing back. If I was going to tell the story, share the journey, I had to be 100% honest. No man likes to admit weakness. It's not in our nature. We'd much rather believe we're ruling this darn jungle! Whether we really are or not--matters not. So, to be this honest has been a challenge for me. I have never been this open with others, nor even myself.

In the past, it was nothing to lie about myself. If I went to renew my driver's license, I would say I weighed three hundred pounds, knowing full well I was six hundred. It was hard at first to talk about all the foods and my eating, the way it controlled me. It's not easy telling the world I hate myself. I'm not at all proud of where I have been, but I'm darn proud of where I am now and where I'm going.

If there is one promise I can give you, it's that I will not color coat the truth. I won't tell you that making a lifestyle change is easy; I won't tell you that it won't hurt sometimes, and I'm not going to tell you that every day will be wonderful when I know it will be painful. However, I will tell you that all the hard work, all the hours of sweating and working hard, are worth it.  Nothing in life comes easy. Most of us aren't superhuman. We have to work for the things we want.


If there was a magic pill and we could live to be a hundred, look and feel like a million dollars, we would all take it. But it just isn't that easy. It's tough to love ourselves when were in that dark sad place, when we feel like a loser and a waist of human life.

So, what will I tell you? I can tell you that you can and will love yourself again, soon--if you're willing to make the changes and do the right things. I can tell you to expect to always have the cravings and thoughts of food every day. Why would you not? You've had a relationship with it for a long-long time! Food will always be there but you can control it. 
I can tell you, it's OK to enjoy the foods you love. And I promise, when you are controlling your food, your attitude about life will change.

What I won't tell you: You can do it alone. We can't. We need help. We need support and friendship. This fight is as much a mental war as it is a physical one.  I won't tell you: There will be no roadblocks or obstacles. There will be many.


I promise to always share the truth, all of it--the good, the bad, and the ugly.  And bottom line: If you really want your health back, if you really have the desire to take back your life and be in control, you have to ability to make the change. You just have to have the desire to step out of your comfort zone. When you do that--success is yours!

I hate to disagree with a favorite actors of mine, but, "You. Can. Handle. The. Truth," because I just gave it to you.



Peace
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment