"Oh Sh*t!!!!"

When I first began this journey, back in the college fitness center, I worked hard at being invisible, as if a six hundred pound giant could actually go unnoticed.  The last thing I wanted was to drawn unwanted attention to myself. So, if I was lifting weights, or tossing a medicine ball around like a wild man, I'd hold in my feelings of exhaustion and pain. I did my best to keep a low profile.

(Gym tip number one: Do not eat tuna or hard boiled eggs before a workout unless you'd like to experience a rather unpleasant bodily reaction guaranteed to make you famous.)

So on the second or third week into this new adventure, Thomas (Friend and Trainer) gave me some new challenges on the dumbbell bench press. I don't remember how heavy it was, but I was going for a PR--that's "Personal Record" (I'm hip with the gym lingo now). When I got into position, I pushed those heavy buggers up, and felt what seemed like the weight of the Titanic over me.  My face flushed red. The sweat was rolling down. My cheeks were blown out like some kind of a deranged chipmunk.  And as my arms were locked in that position, I realized the odds of me sustaining were dwindling with every passing second. Finally, I lowered the weights and I let out a really loud, "OH SH*T!!!!!!". 

Over me, Thomas just grinned and then said, "Finally, after weeks, I  got an "Oh Shi%#" out of you."

Now when I workout, I don't worry about drawing attention to myself. I let out every earned grunt and groan. I never hold back, however, I'm thankful my mother wasn't in the gym that day, as I'm pretty sure there's unwanted carbs in a bar of soap!!!!!

Working out is war! Never be afraid and take no prisoners.

Battle on!
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment