Bad mood? Time for the gym!


What do you do when you're stressed? Don't tell me, you eat? I know, I know, I used to do the same.

If I had a bad day, my first instinct was to hit the nearest drive-through. There's just nothing like a greasy burger, or a bowl of chocolate ice cream, to make one feel better. When your world is spinning out of control, it's comforting. It makes you feel good--for the five minutes it takes to consume it anyway. Then afterwards, you're left with nothing but anger and guilt.


What? You've never done that before? Oh, Come on! I know you; yes you, right there--the one reading this now. You know what I'm talking about.

So, what can we do when the stress of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness gets to be far too much to handle? 


Well, as a matter of fact, I recently had a mixed up day of emotions recently.  It was one of those days where everything "seemed" to be happening in my favor. I was even getting my end-of-the-day strut on. You know the one where your footsteps get lighter, as 5 pm gets closer, and that beer-thirty beverage you've denied yourself all week sounds like a well earned treat. Then--WHAM!--something drops and flips you on your rear, thus spilling that imaginary cold brew inches before your lips. (*&#@!!!)  

That's what happened to me a few nights ago; a few things went wrong and my emotions got the best of me of me (a.k.a, I was freaking out). And, now, I knew there were bad foods in the house as I'd put them there a few nights before, hoping for a weekend treat later. Sure, I could have easily eaten all of it in one sitting. Heck, at that point, I wanted to guzzle more than just one imaginary Bud! I wanted the whole twelve pack. But, that good angel on my shoulder spoke to me just in time; "Go to the gym Dan, finish the night off with a BANG."  

I sat there for a few minutes, willing myself to calm down. I decided that angel was right; I could not undue the bad but I could do something productive and say "No" to the cold brew, and instead go to the gym. I could use that bad energy to burn good calories. And I did just that! I worked out like I had never before, conquering a mile on the treadmill in record time. And those squats came and went like a flash of lightning--three sets of 12, not a problem! The weights felt light that night, so, I added more. I was a machine, I tell ya. And after that hour of hard work had passed, I was a new man.  I had forgotten all about that negative energy.  My spirit felt lighter.

The old Dan would have sat down and finished off a large pizza, all by himself, washing it all down with a jumbo Dr. Pepper. The new Dan took all that pent up emotion to the gym and did something positive and healthy with it. 


I'm telling you, friends, that chocolate cake or greasy taco may work in a pinch but its killing us! My favorite quote still stands: "Nothing tastes as good as losing weight feels!"  When you're upset or stressed, go for a walk or a bike ride--hit the gym--and when you're done, you will feel ten times better than if you had hit a Mc-drive-thru instead.  And that's coming from the ex-King of stress eating!

Bad day? Take a step back and think about it for a minute or two. If you must eat, then eat something that's going to make you feel good rather than riddle you with regret, adding to your already stressful day. Do some jumping jacks! You'll be thanking me and yourself for it later.

PEACE
Dan

2 comments:

  1. wow Dan you look awesome... way to go congratulation on your blog and your weight loss.

    blessings,
    Agnes

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very impressive post with every minute details mentioned and clearly expressed,great job.


    Gym in Mohali

    ReplyDelete