I Have Not Been 100% Me--Until Now.

Forgive me friends, for I have not been truthful. But I will be now.
 
Changes are always coming, and coming fast, in my life. Everyday my body seems to transform itself. And though I was a very sexy dude at 600 pounds (cough-wink), I feel like George-freekin-Clooney now! 
 
It's amazing what three hundred pounds can do for ones sense of self and confidence.  All kidding aside, I feel so much better about myself, and finally, I know who I am. (No not Pluto! I don't know how he got into this photo!) 
 
However, as good as I may have felt, over this past year, I haven't actually been 100% me.  I know, I know, you're asking: What is this Dan character talking about? Well sit back, have a seat in my confessional booth, and I'll tell you my dirty little secrets--one of them anyway.
 
You see, I've been  a prisoner to vanity for some time now. And since some of you may also be struggling with captivity, I decided to officially come clean. 
 
So, what I'm talking about? I'm talking about giving up trying to be someone you're not and accepting your true self; about having the confidence to be the real you, as I'm now being for the first time in years. It took me some time to come to terms with myself, and honestly, it felt like some little angel whispered in my ear and gave me permission because I simply woke up one day and made that change that so needed to be made. 
 
Have you figured it out yet? (Hint: The photos might help.)
 
OK, yes, photos don't lie, I am thinning (a.k.a bald or just flat bald). There's no denying the hair situation, though I'm thankful for hats. And since hair transplants and wigs just won't work, I've accepted my barren head for what is it--bare and often cold. But that's just a small confession, not the one I'm really talking about here. I know, I know, out with it already.  I'm trying. It's a tough one to admit, but for the longest time, I simply found it impossible to accept the loss of hair pigmentation (a.k.a going gray). And as I'm over forty, and getting closer to that fifty mark, it seems to only get worse. First you see one then you see another--pretty soon you're counting them! It's insane. I still can't believe it!
 
So, yes boys and girls, children of all ages, my beard has almost completely gray and I've been hiding it for some time now.  There! Now you have it.
 
 Wow, that actually felt good! I had to get it off my chest, you see, because recently a buddy of mine actually said, "I can't believe your beard hasn't gone gray by now." So, Dave, if you're reading this--Thank you, man!
  
Yes. I have been supporting a certain hair dye company--that shall remain nameless--for some time now and I just wanted to blog today, write a special thank to a certain little angel for challenging me to be me. 
 
It's funny, but I'm actually OK with gray in my goatee, and in fact, I kind of like it.  Now I can spend those dollars on something better, like a hair plug savings fund (Wink Wink).
 
The moral of this story: Be you, be your own best friend. Change what's in your control and accept the rest.
 
Peace
Dan

2 comments:

  1. Dan, I think you have always been a 'genuine' person. You need to give yourself credit for being a wonderful friend to all, and a brilliant individual at 600 lbs. Your weight loss is a blessing as your health and well-being were compromised. You will always be ' Dan the man ' to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cathy, that is very kind of you.

    ReplyDelete