Doing it--one day at a time!

I am very human. I have days of doubt. Day's when I want to say: "Screw this work out crap, I want to sleep in and forget about it." I don't feel like eating a salad for lunch. I want a big fat greasy burger with fries and a chocolate shake.

There was a time in my life when I would have been too embarrassed to talk about my life as a 600+ pound man. I didn't want to talk about how much food I ate in a day or how difficult it was to get off the couch. Those are very personal things and most people dealing with weight/food issues never divulge their secrets. However, since taking my journey public, more than a year ago, my life has become an open book. By sharing my struggle, I have found my purpose--my truth.

When I was at my largest, I did whatever was necessary to hide from the truth. The weight on my drivers license said 325 (I was 625). People would ask me what I had for lunch, and I would say, "Tuna fish sandwich, chips and tea," and skip the details of my extra large value meal and 20 piece nuggets with sweet and sour sauce.

Yup--I was a professional at telling those little white lies. And I know there are many people out there--right now, reading this--who can relate. They also tell those little fibs and that's OK. I understand. And that's why I'm talking you today--to let you know that I was in your shoes once, that I beat it and you can too! 

Somebody said to me not long ago, "Dan, you are the ambassador for people fighting that weight battle." That is fine with me. I will take that title and use it to help anybody who wants or needs it. I understand how much it helps when I get that little message on Facebook cheering me on. That goes a long way. I know everybody doesn't have that, so I try to be that support to others. I want people to know, I'm in their corner. I want them to be happy and healthy. We all need a support system. Athlete's need that crowd cheering them on, musicians feed off the crowd, and people taking on a new journey to get their life back, need a friend. I want to be that friend.

If you'd like to share your story or ask a question on my blog, email me at gettingmylifeback2012@gmail.com. Together we can find the answers and celebrate your journey to getting your life back!

God Bless
Dan Hawthorne
Follow Dan's journey on Facebook!

"For a moment, I forget the veracity of my life. I almost believe that I can go for a morning run along the beach, or put on a pair of slacks I haven't worn in fifteen years and take my wife out dancing. Then I move and the sting of reality hits me. I'm still me." ~ Dan Hawthorne.

Getting My Life Back..The Man In The Mirror. The book--it's happening. Coming soon!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm very proud of all you're doing friend! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete